Thursday, April 2

Thank-you to everyone who participated in our class meeting through Google Meet this afternoon! It was definitely an interesting experience, and it was helpful to see some of the limitations of the platform. As I mentioned during the chat, I'm not sure how useful this will be for us as a class as we move forward. Where I could see it being most beneficial for us would be for small group or one-on-one meetings if people need more support or to check in about particular things. If people are interested in continuing to check in as a class in an audio-visual way, perhaps to do Circle time, we could potentially schedule monthly class meetings on Google Meet. I know people were happy to see one another's faces and to get a chance to check in! If you're looking for the Google Chrome extension that allows you to see everyone in the meeting in a grid, like my screen that I shared, this is where you can find it. For those of you who were unable to attend, I decided not to record the meeting as I don't think that a recording would be very useful for those who were not there.

Our next big step will be the launch of our Google Classroom, which is coming up on Monday morning! I am excited for this new platform, which is basically a digital version of our classroom. This will be the space where you can find weekly assignments and the resources necessary for completing your work. The CBE's expectation for students in grade 5 during this time is approximately five hours of school work per week, focused on Math and Language Arts but with connections to Social Studies and Science where possible. It is up to each family what type of scheduling will work best to complete this work. This is a new platform for me as well, so it will likely take a bit to work through the kinks and find a way to use Google Classroom in the most effective way for our class. Please, if there is anything that confuses you or doesn't work, let me know! It will be helpful for me to see what isn't working in order to improve it for everyone.

Students will not be able to access our Google Classroom until Monday morning, so stay tuned for more information then! Until then, remember that Prodigy has division review questions right now, and that Khan Academy will be another great resource for us during this time, so please join our class and sign in with your educbe account if you have not yet done so! I'm also in the process of getting Epic Books set up for our class as another Language Arts support.

Thank you for your continued support and flexibility!